The signature of Johan Paulus Vogt

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Will of George, son of Andrew Vaught

So I found a copy of the will of George Vaught (b. 1745- d. 1835) that I had discovered in 1998 on The Great Trek my father and I made across the country scoping out our ancestral stomping grounds.   That will be the subject of another post....but for now, here's a (finally) transcribed version of the original.  My wife adn I are in the process of moving to a different state on the other side of the country so my resources and time are a bit limited right now but I wanted to put something up!

A note about George's will---due to the spelling and education of the day, there are many, many words in the document that are odd-sounding to modern ears or outright mispelled (again by modern convention).  I have transcribed a photocopy of the original document exactly, including all the old-time phrases and mispellings.  I made a note in the middle, it is [in brackets].

****************************
WILL OF GEORGE VAUGHT
In the name of God amen.  I George Vaught senior of the County of Wythe and Sate of Virginia being at this time weak in body but of sound mind and disposing memory and calling to mind the mortality of the body and knowing, that it is appointed for all men once to die do make this my last will and testament.

First it is my desire that all my just debts and funeral expences be paid by my executors out of my estate.

Secondly, it is my desire that my beloved wife Christianna do fully and completely possess and enjoy all my property or estates both real and personal during her natural life and after her decease the same to be disposed of in the manner hereafter directed.

And as to my sons David, John, Andrew, George, Peter, and Charles I think I already given them a sufficiency, it is my desire that each of them receive one dollar to be paid by my executors.

Also I think that my daughter Mary hath had a sufficiency.  I also desire that she receive one dollar to be paid by my executors.

As to my son Joseph I give and bequeath unto him the sum of thirty dollars to be paid [note: to him is written in above the line] by my executors.

And it is my desire that at the decease of my wife my two sons Abraham and Jefferson to have all my land and my mill with the exception of one acre of land and a saw mill site that I have given to my two sons Charles and Joseph.

And it is my desire that my two sons namely Abraham and Jefferson pay unto my two daughters namely, Elizabeth and Christianna each one hundred and eighty dollars.

And it is my desire that after the decease of me and my wife whatever property is left and not disposed of the same be equally divided among all my children.

And lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint my son Charles Vaught Executor of this my last will and Testament hereby making void all other former wills by me made Acknowledging this to be my last will and testament.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 13th day of March 1825.
                                                                                                his
Signed, Sealed, Published                                          George     C     Vaught 
                                                                                              mark            
and pronounced in presence of us
Ias. Finney
Roylal Hillirfrzi
Joseph Phillippe

Virginia.  At a Court for Wythe County at the Courthouse on Monday the 11 day of May 1835.  This the last will and testament of George Vaught Sen. Decd was presented in Court proved by the oaths of Christopher Phillipie and Joseph Phillipie subscribing witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded.

And on the motion of Charles Vaught the executor named in said will who took the oath required by law.

And together with John Gannaway and Zachariah Mitchell his securities entered into and acknowledged a bond in the penalty of $400 conditioned as the law directs certificate is granted to him for obtaining probate of said will in due form.
                                               
                                                                        Teste
                                                                                    John Mathews CC
                                                                                               

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Steven. George is my 4th great grandfather. We all appreciate all of your hard work! David Vaught

    ReplyDelete