The signature of Johan Paulus Vogt

Sunday, November 21, 2010

The first Vaught homestead in Virginia

John Paul Vaught moved his family to Orange County, Virginia in 1735.  The land is located  a little west of Culpeper, Virginia, right near the boarder of Madison County.  Here's a satellite image from the Bing.com search engine that I have overlayed the estimated boundary lines between John Paul Vaught and Christian Clements (who would married John Paul Vaught's eldest daughter in 1738.

If you look closely, the layout of the trees still matches the old boundary lines. 

This image interpreted from the classic work on the Vaught family, "There was a Gaspar in the Family" by Spurlin and Martin.

My father and I visited this area in 1998 on a family history road trip.  The Hebron Lutheran Church is a few miles to the southwest just out of range of the picture.  If you've visited this land, I'd love to hear your impressions---for me it was almost a spiritual experience.  Knowing that we were walking on the ground, on roads (that were built on wagon trails) that our ancestors probably passed hundreds of years ago...it really was a wonderful experience.  I'd love to see it in the winter!

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful!!! I am the GR-GR-GR-GR-GR-GR-GR-GREAT Grandchild of Johan Vogt. I am so excited to learn more about my family history!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven, I visited the old Vaught land you described, in July 1991. We attended a Vaught reunion that year. I believe it was in Charlottesville, VA. We spent 2 weeks retracing then steps of the old Vaught family as they traveled down the Shenandoah Valley, stayed a few years, moved south and purchased more land, until (my branch, at least) reached the Cumberland Gap and bought land in the Kentucky wilderness when it opened up in the 1790's (my ggggrandparents bought land near Somerset, Kentucky and remained there until my great-grandfather, James Robert Monroe Vaught died in 1922. His widow, Susan Gilpin Vaught moved to Cincinnati with her 2 daughters and granddaughter, my mother. I do remember the deep spirituality I experienced when my parents and I explored that beautiful area you described. Sunni L. Reed, granddaughter of Ethel Susan Vaught Maifeld.

    ReplyDelete